being a peacemaker in a complex world
ages 16-25 | Course 7
Being a peacemaker in complex world is designed to teach biblical peacemaking alongside the hot topics young people are facing. By understanding their personal worldview, and that of others, students will be equipped to be peacemakers in a complex world.
who’s this for and what’s it about?
Years 11-12 and young adults
ages 16-25 | Course 7
Leah, Jairus and Chris teach peacemaking and worldview thinking to help students engage with conflict and “hot topics”.
Video presenters, animations, interactive activities, reflective journal.
Theme: Connecting how our world shapes us, peacemaking principles and the hot issues and conflicts facing older teens and young adults
students will learn…
foundational peacemaking principles
Students will learn what conflict is, where it comes from, and a basic framework they can use in any conflict situation.
how to think critically with a Christian worldview
Students will come to understand how we are shaped and formed by our culture, our stories and our experiences. They will consider what it means to think through the lens of a Christian perspective on life.
to connect these concepts to complex life issues
Students will then apply these peacemaking and worldview concepts to a range of challenging issues which they encounter in their lives.
This course takes a different approach to any of the other PeaceWiseKids or PeaceWiseYouth courses, by introducing two unique additional elements to the core biblical peacemaking tools and principles: Christian worldview thinking and direct engagement with “hot topics” of the day.
The Christian worldview content is provided by noted author and speaker Chris Parker, author of The Frog and the Fish.
launch webinar unpacking “Being a peacemaker in a complex world”
- welcome and introduction (start to 4:46)
- overall vision, course, context and content and how to teach it (4:47 to 14:09)
- sampler of the lesson on “discussing controversial topics” (14:10 to 21:48)
- Chris Parker on why teaching worldview to our young people matters (21:52 to 31:38)
- vision for where this course can go and further options for you to use it (31:39 to 45:35)
There are two modules:
Module One: Foundational peacemaking principles
- 4 topics
- grounds students in the concepts and tools they need to apply peacemaking principles in everyday life
Module Two: Peacemaking in a world of complex issues
- 8 topics, of which you need to do a minimum of 4 topics – though we encourage doing all 8
- allows students to engage in the hot topics they’re experiencing and prepares them for living in a complex world as a peacemaker
- integrates both biblical peacemaking concepts and Christian worldview thinking as students engage with the different issues for each topic
Foundational peacemaking principles
Peacemaking in a world of complex issues
Technology and social media
What is conflict and how do I respond to it?
How do I address my part in a conflict?
How can I best address what the other person did?
Justice and judgments
How can we restore our relationship?
Discussing controversial topics
where do I teach it?
In schools: typically as part of Christian Growth, Christian Studies or as an elective in Year 11 or Year 12.
In colleges: the course is extremely well suited for gap year input or Christian foundation style subjects, especially given its integrative treatment of biblical peacemaking, Christian worldview and “hot topics” within the one course.
In churches: suitable for small group study over 8-12 weeks – both for young adults as well as for youth leaders wanting to prepare to use PeaceWiseKids or earlier PeaceWiseYouth courses with younger members of the church.
course details at a glance
4 core plus 4-8 electives
number of lessons
- Four core lessons make up Module 1
- Eight electives topics make up Module 2.
For Module 2, the 8 different topics can be done in any order, but you need to do a minimum of 4 topics to adequately teach the course.
Approximately 50 minutes
An example lesson breakup would be…
- 20 minutes of video content (inc discussion questions)
- 15 minutes of teacher directed activities
- 15 minutes of personal reflection
Video + class interaction + reflection
- Online stimulus videos including discussion questions
- Teacher directed lessons
- Personal reflective journal for each student
how long can I use it?
Purchase of this course provides the user with a 12 month licence to use all course content.
free trial content – take a closer look at the course
Check out a sampler video from one of the topics below. You can also have a closer look at a sample lesson plan and the student journal as well.
Hit one of the buttons below to get started – and please feel free to reach out to us if you need help.
For larger groups like schools, we highly recommend you contact us before you buy so we answer any questions about the course and help you make sure you pick the right resources for your students. 😉
For schools, we also have package pricing for whole of school purchases.